Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Special Guest Wednesday

Today, I'm honored to have Sreekesh Menon as this week's guest.

Sreekesh offers the following definition:

Business, n. The art of using two faces to accomplish one task.

About Sreekesh: Sreekesh Menon is a Project Manager for a large financial institution who writes poetry on his blog, A Little Insane, and records musings and amusing comments he hears on his less frequently updated site, The Business of life. I'm no judge of poetry but I admire his willingness to publish his and as far as I'm concerned it's very good. His ear is keen and he has a great sense of humor so the Business of Life site is fun.

Sreekesh is also one of the rare birds who began as a blogfriend and became a local, hang-out-with-sometimes friend. This Spring, he and another great and good online friend visited Los Angeles and I had the pleasure of meeting both. Since that time, Sreekesh moved from Dallas to Los Angeles and I had the privilege of attending his birthday party at a wanna-be redneck bar in Thousand Oaks, California. I'm here to tell you, he looks absolutely convincing in Cowboy boots and a black felt hat. I just know that any stagecoach trying to get down Highway 101 Friday night would have been in big trouble.

How to be a Wednesday Guest: Email me at dpascover at mac dot com. On a future Wednesday, after putting up the current week guest post I'll email you a word to define and request your definition and a graphic representing either you or your definition by the following Saturday. No profanity, please.

21 comments:

Sar said...

Sree - great definintion, especially aligned next to your blog face (nice touch, Doug).

"Taking Care of Business..." is now stuck in my head.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more, Skeeresh. Still, I offer "Business: distracting substitute for life."

Unknown said...

"We all wear masks"
- shrink to Stanley Hibkiss, The Mask

nice poetry, Sree

Semisweet1 said...

business: That, to which people it doesn't concern are all up in. Syn: bidness.

Doug The Una said...

Sar, I can't take credit. That's Sreekesh' idea. It works, though, doesn't it?

Weirsdo, I thought that was living.

Karma, art films are beyond my depth. He's good, right?

S, good definition. That girl ever call you back? You took breath mints, right?

TLP said...

Hi Sreekesh. Nice to meet you.

Good definition.

Since Doug didn't offer anything from Ambrose Bierce, I'll step on his toes with, "Don't steal. Thou'lt never thus compete successfully in business. Cheat."

Cooper said...

Nice definition, although one must note it's easy for you to say.....you have two faces.

Business,n. What one tell friends one is taking care of when one does not want to go out with them. Always sounds impressive.

Doug The Una said...

TLP, you lead beautifully.

Lula, Welcome! Best not to ask.

Alice, I bet especially with all the one you toss around. Throw in a we next time. That'll really take the starch out. Not that I'd know.

Tom & Icy said...

I usually just mind my own.

dddragon said...

Business = Government today

Anonymous said...

Business, n. A type of modern organization, inspired by Robin Hood, which takes from its investors and gives to the senior employees.

Semisweet1 said...

Thank you for leaving personal comments off your blog.
In actual fact I took Tylenol, but I think I need something stronger.

Doug The Una said...

That's why you're a good dog, Icy.

Dddragon, if only the converse were true too.

Andrew, and the senior employees, in turn, are inspired by Friar Tuck.

S, Tylenol's good for business.

Jamie Dawn said...

I'll go over read a poem or two.
His definition was good, and the mask gave it a good visual.

Doug The Una said...

Nice, Actonbell. Thanks.

I love it, a4g. Good cynic! Good!

Thanks, Jamie Dawn. I agree.

GABRIEL C. ZOLMAN said...

Wow...is it Wednesday already? I just got done posting for Tuesday. Jesus.

)+(

Lila said...

Great definition, and another fine blog you've discovered, Doug. What? You meet us weirdos in REAL life? SCARY!

Doug The Una said...

Gabriel, think of me as your Alarm Clock. Time to get up for the weekend.

It sure was, huh. Just let me know when you're in LA. Meet me at your house on Monterey.

Lila said...

Okay, when I come back to my native land, I'll look you up. But, um, I don't have a house on Monterey...

So, the Astros. Exciting! Go White Sox!

LeMas. said...

Yay for blogfriends.
Business-the day to day activities that enable the pursuit of more important things in life.
Man, that definition stinks. :( No firing synapses after two days off from my regular business dealings.

Doug The Una said...

Go White Sox! Whattaya think, Aral. Houston = pitching, not catching? And apologies for missing the chronology. I thought you were a baby in South Pas. The whole TLP, Ynnarg and the law incident.

It's not bad, Masil, just lacks your usual cynicism. Crackheads eating of your trash just has you a little conservative right now, I guess.