Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Rootin' Tootin' Wednesday Guest

I'm proud to say my guest this week is the Cowgirl.

Cowgirl was asked to write a definition for sidesaddle.

SIDESADDLE, n. 1. A saddle that was originally designed so that ladies could ride in dresses without indecent exposure.
2. Original version of the pedestal men once placed women on.

adj. The now back in style art form that was once considered anachronistic by the horse world.

Once considered a dying style of riding, sidesaddle currently has immense popularity in the society horse world. Technically, any horse can be ridden aside, but the few breeds that have sidesaddle divisions in their shows are predominantly society horses; Arabians, Morgans, Andalusians, hunter/jumpers etc.

When sidesaddle is listed as a class at a show, it is almost always preceded by "ladies." Men typically do not openly advertise that they even train horses to ride sidesaddle, but every once in a while there will be a show that has a "Drag Queen Sidesaddle" class that packs the stands. These are usually the highlight of the show year, which are to be taped and used appropriately. Male trainers and exhibitors do their best Dolly Parton, Marilyn Monroe, or Pamela Anderson impersonation. I have even seen an excellent Dame Edna wannabe.

"If the world were a logical place, men would ride sidesaddle." Rita Mae Brown is correct in her form to function observation; however, my logics and desire for money like the fact that I get paid to show male trainer's and client's horses in ladies sidesaddle classes!

About Cowgirl*: Cowgirl was a delightful surprise for a lot of us, in good midwestern style making fast friends with a bunch of us at once. She writes The Patriotic Cowgirl, the diary of a young woman living the way a young woman should: with bravery, alcohol, curiousity, contemplation, craziness and caballos. OK, a caballo is a horse but sometimes aliteration just kind of gets me, you know? She's quick with a joke or a friendly word and ready to share her own hard truths.

Cowgirl lives in the midwest, the sea of corn and soy whose hospitality I still mourn. After the fashion of the area, Cowgirl seems to have had about all the kinds of work in the guidance counselor's handbook. Also after the fashion of the area, she's been beset with tornados, stormy weather and troubled neighbors. Cowgirl is a horse-trainer, a printer, a reliable friend and a medic in the Army Reserve National Guard. For all of that, a tip of the hat. Oh, and her birthday is next Tuesday, y'all.

*I'm straining to keep the cow-stereotypes to a minimum.

Oh, and from the "Wednesday Guest Makes Good" department, Pia, fresh from an article in the Long Island Press and an interview with New York Newsday comments in an article from the Christian Science Monitor. See it here.

How to be a future guest on this site: Just send an email to dpascover at mac dot com. On a future Wednesday, after posting that week's guest, I'll send you an email with a word to define. You'll be expected to return your definition along with a graphic representing either your definition or yourself by the following Saturday. The only rules are no profanity and no novels, please. And whatever I make up at the last minute.

25 comments:

Lila said...

Hi, Cowgirl! Great definition! Great guest! I'll be brief -- I'm FIRST!

Kyahgirl said...

Woo-hoo Cowgirl. Its great to learn more about you.

Loved your definition and subtle digs :-)

Obviously, I need to find my way to a horseshow because it sounds like I'm missing out on lot of fun.

Doug, you did a great job describing Cowgirl. Alliteration and rhymes and everything :-)

Logophile said...

It is a good definition, and tons of new information, I like it.
Good job cowgirl!
Fun stuff!

TLP said...

Nice definition Cowgirl. Great write up Douglas.

Somehow it all gave me a strange earworm: I'm back in the sidesaddle again, back where a friend is a friend... I think I can hear Roy Rogers singing it...

Ariel the Thief said...

wow, what a sensitive matter even sidesaddle can be. I had no idea. thank you!

Doug The Una said...

Yup, Aral. Great guest, great definition and you're first. A banner day.

Kyahgirl, thanks.

Well, there you go, Logophile. Next week a cowquiz?

TLP, I think old Roy rode a lot of sidesaddle if you know what I mean.

Ariel, Sidesaddle is the man's way of oppressing women in general and making money for Cowgirl in particular.

Anonymous said...

The more I learn about this girl the more I like...

Great choice for a guest Doug... *hat tip*

Great definition Cowgirl... :)~

The Village Idiot said...

In response to something yesterday...

I am german/swiss and have blue eyes but, ask around, I apparently did not inherit the punctuality gene. I show up on time, sometimes, just to keep things interesting.

On with the defining

sidesaddle -- nope, still not there I'm trying to think but nothing happens

Rude1 said...

Hey Cowgirl, you know I'll follow where ever you go LOL! Congrats on the guest gig; great choice.

Talk to you soon, be good :)

LeMas. said...

Is it wednesday already? I missed Monday and Tuesday's definitions? My god, how do I manage to lose time like most people lose pennies?

Jamie Dawn said...

Cowgirl: I stopped by your blog. I rode a horse named Rosella when we were in Mexico once. My horse was going so slow, and I was annoyed because she wouldn't keep up with my hubby's horse. I said, "Undele Rosella!"
The horse took off like a rocket and jostled me all around. The Mexican guides cracked up! I was not riding sidesaddle.

Doug: Wouldn't you love to see one of those Drag Queen Sidesaddle Riding events? I sure would!

Anonymous said...

Howdy Cowgirl. I thought I left this comment before, but anyway, thanks for the informative post. I had no idea sidesaddle was making a comeback.

Miz BoheMia said...

Woooooohoooo! It is Cowgirl! Yep, she did jump into the fray and became part of the family right away and we are all the richer for it! Bohemians everywhere just looooooveeee this Cowgirl! Oooooweeeee! Fo sho!

Cowgirl, you would love our horses here. I actually live in the south, in Andalucia and our horses here are famous for their grace and dancing... and they are lookers too!

Sidesaddle... The kidnapping weapon of choice for Andalucian Gypsies scouring the land for ladies! Yeehaw!

Doug, what can I say hermano? You never cease to amaze me! Great write-up and great guest choice!

LeMas. said...

cowgirl-Then I too shall blame the alkiehawl. It's a much better option than too busy at work at any rate.

The amoeba said...

Sidesaddle is the man's way of oppressing women in general.

True, too true. But what about the HORSE?! Obviously, Cowgirl and others here are experts and can enlighten me. But I have been told that a sidesaddle rider is a real trial for the animal. Imagine if you had to carry a load like that.

SIDESADDLE, adj. The depressed spirits of a beast of burden with an unbalanced load.

Nice work, Cowgirl and Doug.

rswan - if the Christ figure in the Chronicles of Narnia were a bird, not a lion.

Anonymous said...

I'm fresh out of saddle and cowgirl jokes--but will think of some for next Tuesday!

The amoeba said...

cowgirl -

They have a hard enough time staying astride. ;)

Ayup. That would be me ...

Doug The Una said...

Yow, Cowgirl, you sure make folks chatty!

Star, Cowgirl, Cowgirl, Star. Appropriate is what sidesaddle's all about.

Yeehah!, Cowgirl.

Well, thank you, Shayna. There's room for more great selections on my list. Cowgirl does grow on you quick, doesn't she?

Village Idiot, your mutancy is no surprise in these circles.

Rude1, welcome. Any friend of Cowgirl's is a friend of miine.

Cowgirl, I'll trot on over when I'm done here.

Masil, do you keep your calendar on the couch by any chance?

Absolutely, Jamie Dawn. As long as I didn't have to carry the saddle.

Weirsdo, I was surprised myself. I thought I was being funnier sending Cowgirl that word than I turned out to have been. By the way, everyone, that sentence is long and formal because I'm writing to a PhD. Weirsdo will say something if I dangled a participle or split an infinitive.

Miz B, as long as I have great volunteers I'll stay amazing.

You better believe it, Masil. I read your blog. Too busy at work isn't going to convince me.

Cowgirl, I've never seen anyone ride sidesaddle outside a rodeo corrida. But I've seen a lot of folks fall. Your comment sure sounds right.

Pia, if you need some email, I bet I know a few.

Jamie Dawn said...

Doug: Your title made me think of IHOP. They have a Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity breakfast.

Kyahgirl said...

Hi again :-) Just checking back to see how the party is going.

wv=hahsahe
(horsey)

Omnipotent Poobah said...

Yee Haw Cowgirl!

I think a variant of sidesaddle is in order. My idea: a saddle with an escape slide built right in. Going too fast? Slidesaddle it. Jump a little out of control? Slidesaddle it. the possibilities are endless.

We could even market it with horsebag, like an airbag for horses.

Whaddaya think?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the definition cowgirl. I don't ride horses so amignorant about it although afriend of mine used to steeple chase. ? spelling.

Side saddle: the perference of all Lady Godiva wanna be's.

Doug The Una said...

Jamie Dawn and Cowgirl, a quick story: My friends Dave, Craig and I were pushing cattle along a lonely two-lane highway when some tourists, probably on their way from San Francisco to Las Vegas, pulled up and started taking our pictures. Craig had been riding point on the side closest to the highway and the tourists asked him to pose. Craig was even less gregarious than Dave and I and we were pretty surly and you could actual see the muscles tighten in Craigs neck. Dave rode up to me and said "Craig looks pretty uncomfortable" and we both started laughing then we took out our ropes and started galloping back and forth and swinging or ropes while I yelled "YeeeeeeHAAA! I'm the rootinest tootinest cowboy in the West!!" The I was going to yodel but my throat was dusty and it came out "Icky! Icky!" So for the next couple years, Rootin' Tootin' was answered with "Icky! Icky!" and a lot of laughter. Hence, today's title.

The pleasure was all mine, Cowgirl. Icky! Icky!

Howdy, again, Kyahgirl and Happy Birthday!

Poobah, saddles already come with an emergency exit. It's called a "cactus."

Cooper, we'll look forward to that post on Wonderland or Not.

Janet said...

Cowgirl's turn! Yee haw!

Now I can't get the words to "Back In The Saddle Again" out of my head.:)

Doug The Una said...

Yee Haw, indeed, Janet. And Icky! Icky! (see above)

Cowgirl, you were an awesome guest and a great host. Imagine checking back here. Another tip of the ole' resistol.