Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Special Guest Wednesday

Friends, this week I'm proud to present Janet of The Art of Getting By. Janet was asked to define Gregarious.

gre·gar·i·ous, adjective
gre·gar·i·ous·ly, adverb
gre·gar·i·ous·ness, noun

1 a : tending to associate with others of one's kind, social
b : marked by or indicating a liking for companionship, sociable
c : of or relating to a social group

2 a: of a plant : growing in a cluster or a colony
b : living in contiguous nests but not forming a true colony or posse.

Used in a sentence: Thems my peeps, said the gregarious boy.

I find it interesting Doug chose me to define the word gregarious. After all, he has told me before that he tries, whenever possible, to match up the word with the person.

So I guess that means Doug sees me and my blog as gregarious entities. That's interesting.

When I think of the word social I think of two things; butterflies and drinking, though not necessarily in that order and definitely not together. I mean really. When's the last time you saw a drunk butterfly? And no, some lethargic dude in a pool attempting the backstroke doesn't count.

But seriously, butterflies are known as social beings, as are birds of a feather that flock together. But I guess it's the "of one's kind" thing that kinda irks me.

Am I a shallow social person in Doug's eyes? Do I only socialize on a level of snobbery? Am I really that much of a blogging elitist?!

Then again, if being gregarious does mean socializing with those like you, that would mean Doug is putting himself in the same, buzzed butterfly scenario. That makes me feel better.

There are also, I suppose, worse words to define. He could have given me something like "hermit" or "heinous". Then I would really have a complex.

About Janet: Janet is a teacher, counselor, blogrenter and award taker. And if you go read her blog, you get a free milkshake served with a smile. For those of us whose experience with school is limited to having been an inattentive pupil long ago, her site is very revealing of the thoughts of faculty. I never suspected they had them. Wonder if my teachers knew about my ditching and, ah, stuff.

Her blog, The Art of Getting By features Janet's thinking and writing in a friendly, inviting and interactive conversation about various topics, especially, but not limited to, school. Every Tuesday she has a "Tell Me Tuesday" which heightens the interactivity and a good time is had by all. The eloquence and organization of her posts make them good reading and food for thought. Janet's also as committed to interactivity and reciprocity as any blogger I know of. For all of these reasons, The Art of Getting By received the Best of Blogs award as the runner-up in the Best Overall Blog category, the only category, mind you, that shares initials with program itself. Thanks to gregarious Janet, neither heinous nor hermit-like (those words I reserve for myself, thank you so much) for bringing her august credibility over here and earning it again.

And for the record, I don't think Gregarious denotes shallow. Connotes is more appropriate, although not in this case.

How to be a future guest on this site: Just send an email to dpascover at mac dot com. On a future Wednesday, after posting that week's guest, I'll send you an email with a word to define. You'll be expected to return your definition along with a graphic representing either your definition or yourself by the following Saturday. The only rules are no profanity and no novels, please. And whatever I make up at the last minute.

14 comments:

dddragon said...

I wish I wasn't about to go out the door ... Janet and her blog sound VERY interesting. I'll be back this afternoon to check 'em out.

Gregarious: What happens when Greg Brady enters and wins the pie-eating contest.

Unknown said...

hey Janet, good to see you doing well! May I have my burger served with Gregarious Peck, thank you?

unjwdj: uninhibited Janet wocks, DJ

~Daydreamer~ said...

Hi Janet! Can I have strawberry milkshake please to go? Hehe. Kidding.

And hi dear Doug, miss you :)

Doug The Una said...

Dddragin, that's hilarious. I bet Janet will still be good reading when you get back. Maybe while you cook fudge and polish trombones.

Haha, Karma!

Marwa, I don't know why, but I pictured you as a mocha milshake gal.

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet. In the spirit of shallow, elitist gregariousness, would you please help Doug with his spelling?

Jamie Dawn said...

I'll head over and give her blog a visit.

Nice to meet a fellow gregarious person. I like people who like people.

Doug The Una said...

Good grief, Weirsdo. I must have been daydreaming about Danish kings again. The correction is made. A little education, they say, makes a person dangerous. A lot makes them a pain in the butt. But thank you.

I guess alcohol makes you more of what you already are. I'm a shy and surly drunk, Cowgirl.

I like people who like you, Jamie Dawn.

Janet said...

Thanks again for letting me be a guest Doug. Come to think of it, this post has brought about a rather gregarious event in itself, hasn't it?:)

Sar said...

Nice to meet you Janet. We apparently have something in common on Tuesdays. Does that earn me a free shake? :)

Comments on Waking Ambrose bring out the gregarious nature of our would-be curmudgeon host.

Jay Noel said...

Great definition!

Many teachers I've worked with had to be gregarious in order to survive.

Doug The Una said...

a4g, that would have been my definition, too.

Janet, thanks so much for doing this. You're a first-rate butterfly.

Actonbell, still with the felocidy I see. Fair enough since you're funny and all.

Sar, grrrrrrrr. (How was that?)

Phoenix, I've found that gregarious and armed-to-the-teeth work equally well. It's a choice.

Miz BoheMia said...

Ooooweeee! A gregarious lady with a funkay blog! Me like!

Great job on the definition Janet! Ironically, any gregariousness leaves me now as I feel so isolated and unable to add to the word! DIOS MIO! What's a bohemian to do?

Dawgy Doug, take a bow for yet another superb performace hermanito!

Gotta jet on over to check out Lady J! Woooohooooo!!!!!!!

Minka said...

jante is a teacher? Why haven´t I heard about her before, there are tips to be learned before I deliver myself to teh mercy of students. Better head on over...

and yes, Janet, I would like fries with that!

Doug The Una said...

Miz B, Minka, where have you two young ladies been? Were there boys there? Big brother needs to know.